January 26, 2008

What is it to me?

I've been challenged. One of my classes has been forcing me to seriously consider what my education means to me and what (or why) I value it and why I am even talking this degree. I suppose that this challenge isn't a bad thing....its always good to evaluate what you are doing. For so long I accepted the notion that I was going to university because it was expected of me. Getting a good job required an education. So getting an education was what I did. And I always thought in the back of my mind that I would further my BA and get a masters and my doctorate. I never expected to met a guy and get married. Much less consider the concept of going into missions with him. So now, here I sit, with this question in my mind. Does my education still mean anything to me? Its going to be too expensive to do the further school and have a family. So am I forced to choose? And when are we supposed to get into missions? Right after we are married? In 10 years? Do I put aside my dream of "helping people through counseling"? Or is my dream just changing and God's been setting me in a path to start my goal of helping people and now that ending result is just changing. Instead of staying here in North America, he is sending me into other parts of the world to help people. Thats fine with me. Its still helping people. But then I am faced with issue of where does the value of my education fit in? Staying here in American makes that degree useful and justifies the time I have spent (not to mention the cost!) of getting that degree. But I still have yet to see the value of my degree if I am going to go over seas and become a missionary. I technically wouldnt need my education to do what we want to be doing. So am I just being selfish and wasting this time going to school? Or is there a place for it in missions? So confusing!

17 comments:

drakefarmer said...

Just remember that God's plan is usually not ours and His timing is definitely not ours. Even the disciples did understand everything until after Christ's accession to Heaven. Things may not make sense till 20 years down the road.

Also, coming from a society that is obsessed with getting things immediately we want answers now. But look at Abraham and Sarah, there promise was 24 years in the making. It was 24 years later that Sarah conceived after God promised Abraham he would be the father of all nations.

Be patience, be faithful, and make effort to be Holy. Draw your eyes towards God and let Him lead you, walk forward and let His staff guide you, and don't fret about the small details, life never goes as planned. truly, if you want to make God laugh, make a plan (James 4:13-17). Not to say that you shouldn't head in some direction, but be still and listen in the midst of your journey, and He will lead.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for your comments Drake! I needed to hear that...

drakefarmer said...

Your welcome! Anytime...

Jon anderson said...

You know one thing that I noticed as I read is that you spoke of the value of your education only in terms of the degree, and what it "technically" afforded you. the truth is you haven't just acquired a piece of paper, which will be valuable in some places and not others and recognized by some people but not others, but you have acquired learning, understanding and knowledge. those things are valuable as a missionary, as a mother, as a wife, as a friend and even in just understanding yourself. And not only have you grown through specific teaching, but I think God has used this whole college experience to shape and develop you in innumerable ways! (never mind the fact that it was there that you met some guy etc. etc. etc.).
Now, all that is not to that you should just stop there because what you have is of value, but rather don't belittle what you have, see it for all its worth, and seek the Lords will for the future. If He calls you to continue, continue. but if He calls you to turn to another path, rejoice it where He has lead you and how you have benefited. God HAS used this time in your life!

Beth and I will be praying for you and Rory as you look for what the Lord has in store for you.

Graceandpeace,
Jon

drakefarmer said...

Well said big guy! Always have a good word of wisdom!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the comment Jon. I guess I did get caught up in the whole "technical" side of what I have learnt. Thanks for reminding me of the intrinsic value that has been learnt. And you are right - there are lots of things I wouldn't have or be without the last few years of being in school. I am very thankful for them!!! AndI appreciate your prayers... sometimes its hard waiting to see what the Lord brings and to trust that he has something good planned (whereever it might be.)

On another note - How are you guyes? Its been awhile again...I hear Rory conned you into helping move our stuff again! I guess we will see you on the weekend? lol...you need to learn to avoid the phone when he needs help moving!

Jon anderson said...

If I didn't have friends to move, I would be even more fat and weak than I already am and that would be a bad thing =-)

drakefarmer said...

That is my problem, fat and old! LOL!

Jon anderson said...

you think college is bad.... wait till you get in the pastorate and everyone wants to feed you sweets every day and then you go out for coffee and doughnuts and on and on and on! its horrible!

drakefarmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
drakefarmer said...

It isn't college that is making me fat, I am actually working out here, it was the Kia salesmen job... having a desk job and being walking distance from McDonalds and never walking there. LOL!

Stephanie said...

haha you guys are funny. thanks again for all the help Jon!

drakefarmer said...

Steph, this is a serious topic, please don't mock us... :P

Stephanie said...

oops my bad. Please accept my sincerest apoologies

drakefarmer said...

I'll let it slide this time...

Jon anderson said...

you can only let it slide because you're still so greasy from all those big mac and fry combos!

drakefarmer said...

So very true